Thursday, April 09, 2009

Question#3 Answered

Part I
Holy crap, I was randomly thinking about Wittgenstein this morning, had a question about him, and how Boyfriend must know some of his stuff pretty will, but then again this is philosophy and consequently not based on how people talk in the real world, so, maybe not. Nope, you definately know the 'Stein. So here's my question from this morning, can you explain the phrase "All the world is all that is the case." or whatever that saying of 'Steiny's is? p.s. This was all thought about before I knew of the Ask Boyfriend movement. Ludicridiculous.

Part II
Oh wait, I just read the post, is that pretty much the answer to my question?

I'm not a huge fan of the 'Stien, I'll take Kirkegaard, thank you very much.



Anonymous,

"The world is all that is the case" is the first proposition of Wittgenstein's Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus. It is basically positing that the world consists entirely of facts, rather than objects (in fact he follows it up logically with proposition 1.1 which is that 'the world is the totality of facts, not of things.'). Proposition 1 can be applied to the initial question thusly, "There is no additional and special province for the philosophical pursuit of truth of a kind different from the truth accessible to science." My earlier response should have spoken more to the Wittgensteinian model of traditional philosophical inquiry as being recursive in nature and thus nonsensical. Properly, to Wittgenstein, the initial question should have been taken as addressing the clarification of languague surrounding the concept of "the meaning of life," but this leads to a recursive logic because language clarification is used as a method of ascribing meaning or siginifigance to (x), so when x="the meaning of life" you get a recursive statement.

P.S. If you are who I think you are, you are already familiar with my penchant for semiotics so you can probably understand my fascination with Linguistic Philosophy. I can see being not a huge fan of 'the 'Stein' given he ends the Tractatus with "What we cannot speak of we must pass over in silence." Not exactly a line to inspire further inquiry into anything.

Boyfriend

[Ed Note: I am bored.]
Bookmark and Share

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Boyfriend, that clarifies things, unless "clarification" itself needs clarification, in which case we'll be stuck in a recursive hell that only Illogical Negativists can get us out of.

Like Josephine.

7:21 PM  
Blogger Whiteboard Daily said...

Dear Boyfriend,

It's easy to understand that three day weekends are better than two day weekends. But is it better to take Friday off, or Monday off?

Sincerely,
Wally

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

HTML Hit Counters
Web Site Hit Counters